We love boating and given our children's boating lineage we are getting them out young. the children's paternal grandfather is an avid bass fisherman, even running a tournament circuit. Their maternal grandfather prefers to canoe and also enjoys fishing. Both live very near to lakes...one within miles and the other within a couple blocks. And we have been on a wait list for several years for a slip in Northern California and as soon as we get called we will be purchasing a sailboat.
This trip my daughter got to enjoy the slower pace of canoing with her maternal grandfather and father. She had a ball and came back spouting off names of birds...blue herons, bald eagles, etc..
So a few tips we can pass along from this one:
- Know the state PFD (Personal Flotation Device) laws. In Ohio where she was on the water children are required to be wearing their PFD. Some require they have them on...some merely they are in the boat and easily accessible.
- Own a PFD. Knowing our daughter will be boating quite a bit we bought her a Type 3 PFD.
- The vest should fit snug. To test the fit, tighten all straps and close zippers and then lift the child by holding the PFD's shoulders. The child's ears and neck should not slip though the head opening. It is also advisable that a child wear, at minimum, a Type II PFD.
- Wear secured, good tread shoes. No open toes, no flip-flops, etc.. These little folks are still trying to find their balance on land. Now have them step into a canoe and they need all the traction they can get.
- Dress for the elements. Her day on the water was warm and sunny, so a hat and sunglasses to protect from the sun, both from above and reflection from water's surface. Pants/Pedal Pushers to protect from the sun as well as the heat being absorbed in the boat's surface.
- Sun/Bug Protection...what can we say...the following covers all our needs Avon's SKIN SO SOFT BUG GUARD PLUS IR3535® Gentle Breeze SPF 30 Sunscreen Lotion
Stay tuned...we still have to close on getting our money from Frontier for our days of lost luggage getting here. The original receipts will go in the mail on Monday.